My latest tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday 30 September 2008

    Braxton Hicks Contractions

    At some point during pregnancy a woman's body produces hormones that tell the uterus to get into shape and start practising for labour. The resulting contractions are called Braxton Hicks. They're (usually) painless and are felt as a tightening of the entire uterus, so they may be uncomfortable.

    I didn't notice them at all until the last 2 weeks or so. My obstetrician asked me if I'd felt them around 30 weeks, I said I hadn't had any. He said I probably had, I just hadn't noticed. As far as practice contractions go, I think my uterus has been a bit laid back.

    Until a couple of nights ago. I woke up with a strong, sharp, tight pain in a band across my abdomen. I eased myself out of bed and felt an ache in my lower back. I thought it might be the real deal, I hadn't experienced this before. After emptying my bladder I returned to bed, feeling a bit shaken and sore. Was this it?

    The thought occurred to me that once labour begins it won't stop until the baby is born. I'll have no control over it. The pain will come and go and become more intense, and I won't be able to do anything.

    As I lay in bed wondering if another contraction would follow I somehow knew that it wasn't actual labour. I took a few deep breaths and reminded myself it was just a strong Braxton Hicks and I then I went back to sleep. They say I'll know when I'm in labour and I believe that's true, but now I'm feeling constantly on edge wondering when it's going to happen ... could be any time.

    No comments: