My latest tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday 12 September 2008

    Pregnancy and Insomnia

    There are a million reasons why I'm not sleeping so well lately. Number 1 contender is probably the mug of raspberry leaf tea I keep drinking right before bed. That's got to account for at least 3 trips to the toilet in the early part of the night.

    Then there's the misaligned pelvis and associated hip pain that makes sleeping quite uncomfortable, despite the Snoogle body pillow having helped somewhat in that respect.

    On top of physical causes, such as a full bladder and pain, there's the mental aspect as well. I close my eyes and start thinking about everything: baby, pregnancy, labour, husband, house, money, jobs, family ... you name it, it's floating up there in the dark recesses of my mind, emerging when I want to sleep.

    Jeremy has been trying to go to bed earlier than adults usually go to bed because he's always tired and he has to work at either 8am or 8:30am. Sometimes he likes to walk to work, so he sets off earlier than he really needs to. This means I'm waking up at the crack of dawn with him. I try to sleep in after he leaves but I get hungry for breakfast and I have to get up, and so begins another day with heavy eyelids and a constant desire to sleep.

    I have finished work, but I have a lot of personal projects I want to be working on. I sit down to my computer and my head screams at me "please don't make me think, I'm too tired." My body wants to nap, but I've never been good at taking naps during the day. The only time I can nap is when I'm exhausted to the point of passing out, which often happens when I'm travelling around the world on a limited time frame, but not when I'm sitting around the house doing very little (because I'm too tired to do anything, damn this catch-22).

    Everywhere I turn people keep telling me to get lots of rest before the baby comes because after that I'll never sleep again, but in what universe are they living that getting lots of rest at this late stage in pregnancy is actually possible?

    No comments: