My latest tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday 18 September 2008

    Vitamin Supplements in Pregnancy

    I have just been taught me a very important lesson. Do not take your health for granted in pregnancy. When a woman grows a baby inside her womb all the mother's nutrition goes to the baby. If there's nothing left for mum at the end of the day then mum misses out. Even someone like me, someone who has always eaten a well-balanced diet and is always in the best of health, can end up basically malnourished after the baby gets all the good stuff.

    Last week I started to experience debilitating fatigue. It was a lot more than just feeling tired or not getting enough sleep. I was completely run down. My eyes burned with exhaustion all day and I struggled to function. I became incredibly clumsy and lost awareness of my own space so I was always bumping into things. At first it was just physical, but it rapidly became quite mental as well and I was overwhelmed by stress and emotion.

    Just before my last obstetrics appointment I was trying to fill out some paperwork that needed to be signed and was quite straight forward, but it was too much for me and I completely broke down. I was crying uncontrollably into my pillow with my poor husband trying to console me, but not really knowing how to help or why I was so distressed.

    He's a wonderful friend, that husband of mine, so he gave me an expanding file folder on which he wrote "Too Overwhelming Folder (even a little bit)" and he said "put anything that you can't cope with in there every day and I'll take of care of it when I get home from work." This cheered me up enough so I could wash my face and go see my doctor.

    I told the doctor about the fatigue, and he said it was completely normal in the last stage of pregnancy. What I neglected to tell him was that I never followed his advice and I hadn't been taking the supplements that he recommended about 3 months ago. Back then, I decided not to buy expensive supplements because my blood tests came back perfect and so I arrogantly thought "clearly my diet is good enough and I don't need extra vitamins."

    It turns out I was wrong. After seeing my doctor I headed over to the hospital pharmacy to buy the elevit supplements, just in case they would help. I was going to get just 1-month's supply to see me to the end of my pregnancy, but Jeremy reminded me that a breastfeeding woman needs even better nutrition than a pregnant woman, so we spent a bit extra for the 100-day box.

    I started taking the supplements that evening and they had the most miraculous impact on my mental and physical health. I went from falling apart one day, to washing the bathroom and vacuuming the house the next.

    We're having some friends come and stay on Saturday night, and we're entertaining some more friends on Sunday night and without the proper nutrition in my system I can assure you that I never would have coped with visitors, especially 2 nights in a row, so I am very glad that I (finally) made the right decision and invested ... yes, it was an investment ... in my health.

    1 comment:

    jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

    That's interesting about the vitamins. I'm glad things seem to be working out now. Best wishes.