My latest tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday 27 October 2010

    When do I tell people I'm pregnant?

    I was sitting around sipping coffee, eating cakes and chatting with the ladies at mums group today, when I had an overwhelming urge to blurt out my news, but I controlled myself thinking "I should wait".

    But I don't know how long to wait. I think I will probably tell them next week, as long as I've told our families first, then I am happy for my friends, other mums, to know.

    The thing is, people often wait 13 weeks to get past the risky period, but why wait? You might not want to tell your boss or people you don't really like, but sharing the news with friends is a good idea. If something bad were to happen, they would be there to give you support. Why go around keeping all your experiences to yourself when you could share them with dear friends?

    We waited with Jude because that's just what people seem to do, but I'm fairly sure we won't wait this time. I've decided to see a GP and have the pregnancy medically confirmed, and then I think I'll tell whoever I want.

    5 comments:

    Tanya said...

    I just noticed that you are blogging again.

    Congratulations on your pregnancy. :)

    I don't understand why people wait to tell their close friends and family either. My first pregnancy I didn't tell anyone because for some reason you're not supposed to and when I miscarried I ended up feeling very alone in my grief. I felt like I was going through a huge, major life event and no one knew about it at all! So second time round I told all my close friends and family very early on, so that I would have support if something did go wrong (which thankfully it didn't), but also to celebrate the pregnancy from the start.

    Eliza said...

    Thanks Tanya,
    I agree. I think many of us wait the first time because we think we're supposed to. I haven't told anyone yet, but we are going to start tomorrow, starting with my husband's family because I promised.

    Maybe we're afraid we'll jynx it or something. Is that why we wait? Pretty silly, for all the reasons you mentioned.

    Tanya said...

    I think the reason people don't announce their pregnancy at first is because you are most likely to miscarry in the first trimester and if that happened you'd then have to tell everyone you lost the baby.

    Eliza said...

    I wont tell everyone, but if it were to happen I'd want support, as you mentioned you had none when you experienced a miscarriage.

    Actually, a friend just told us she just had a miscarriage, but I didn't know she was pregnant so I had blurted out we were pregnant not having any idea about her sad news.

    of course I felt quite bad.

    Tanya said...

    I remember going to a 1st birthday party soon after I miscarried and it was a tough day for me seeing all the babies. It would have been easier if people had known what I was going through.

    Hopefully nothing will happen with your pregnancy though and it'll progress normally.