My latest tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday 20 May 2011

    Renovation Madness

    I would strongly recommend against renovating your bathrooms in the last trimester of pregnancy.

    I have spent every day for the last month or more (god how long has it been?) crawling around on my hands and knees cleaning up cement dust, tile bits, discarded nails, chunks of wood, particle board sawdust... You name it, I've spent time with it recently.

    On top of the cleaning I've had my hands full with tradesmen of varying descriptions and levels of competence, some who understood what I was asking and others who either misunderstood or ignored me.

    I've had to trawl bathroom supply shops looking for fixtures, making endless phone calls following up on items ordered weeks earlier that I still haven't heard anything about, and had to rush out last minute to buy things the builder suddenly deems vital without warning.

    Third trimester fatigue and insomnia has had me in its filthy clutches this entire time and my brain has officially turned to mush. There are just a couple of days left before the renovations are complete, and I'm fighting every cell in my body to stay functioning until it's over, and then some extra energy must be found because the real cleanup begins the day I see the back of the builders, and what a cleanup it will be. There is a thin layer of filmy dust covering every surface and hidden in every nook and cranny throughout the entire house.

    Today the builder started presenting me with invoices and final costs while my poor head is screaming for peace. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to deal with figuring out final payments, I'm quite simply not capable of such complex thought.

    No comments: