My latest tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday 20 July 2008

    Gestational Diabetes Blood Test

    It was raining this morning. Jeremy took the car to work and I wasn't sure if I would be able to walk to pathology for my blood test, but the sun came out eventually and I set off on my 1/2 hour stroll to the QML lab at the Miami Medical Clinic.

    The pathologist on duty took one look at my referral and starting bemoaning my existence. My visit was going to cut into her lunch break. I informed her that I had just walked there for 1/2 an hour and I wasn't going to come back later.

    The test required me to drink a high-glucose drink and then sit for an hour before my blood sample could be taken. I told her I was fine with her eating lunch while I was waiting my hour, but she huffed and puffed and told me she couldn't leave me alone.

    She proceeded to huff, puff, moan and sigh at me for the next hour and then when the time had passed she rushed off to the collection room, expecting me to find her through my inbuilt GPS. She hurried through the blood samples which pinched and hurt quite a lot. When she had 3 samples she slapped a Band Aid over my vein and kicked me out, while she grabbed her bag and rushed off to lunch. The whole time she barely said 2 words to me.

    I don't think it's unreasonable of me to expect professional medical care and nothing less. I found her demeanor and attitude to be quite outrageous. There was no way for me to know when her lunch break was and since appointments are never made for blood tests, it was far from unreasonable of me to turn up at a time that suited me, the patient ... the 6 month pregnant women who walked all the way to the pathology lab only to be treated like garbage.

    I wasn't even sure if I was supposed to walk home with all that glucose streaming through my veins, but one thing's for sure ... that woman had no interest in any duty of care.

    No comments: