My latest tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday 21 May 2010

    Jude still has a dummy

    I wonder, in a purely informative way, how many other children Jude's age (19 1/2 months) still use a dummy?

    I'm not concerned about it. He uses his dummy when he's falling asleep. Ever since he was a little tiny baby he has spat the dummy out while falling asleep. He never wakes up crying for his dummy and he doesn't even look for one during the day, so it's never been a problem.

    When he had the accident and suffered painful burns it was a wonderful, soothing comfort for him, and this week he's been sick with a terrible virus and again his dummy proved very comforting for him.

    However, recently I went to the supermarket with him and he had his dummy. He was going through a particularly rough teething patch and kept jamming his hand in his mouth to the point where he was constantly triggering his gag reflex, so I gave him the dummy to stop the gagging. I met a woman I knew and she commented on the dummy, saying he doesn't need one now. I shrugged it off, but I am fully aware that there are strong sentiments against the use of dummies, which is why I am merely wondering how many other children Jude's age have dummies.

    Again, I stress I really don't care and I know it's not a problem. How many adults or even school children have I ever known who use a dummy? 0! I chose not to worry about things I know aren't problems (like worrying about tummy time and flat heads - show me 1 single adult who has a problem because they didn't do tummy time as a newborn) Mostly, these things are total nonsense, invented just to add 1 more thing for new mothers to panic about.

    I digress. It was all just mental meanderings, anyway.

    1 comment:

    Tanya said...

    Maya doesn't use one, but she has never used one. I did try giving her a dummy many times when she was having sleep issues, but she never took to it. Now she uses her thumb to self settle.