My latest tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday 15 October 2010

    Baby Take 2

    When I started this blog I was quite heavily pregnant, so the journey from the start with Jude was largely undocumented. I've decided, therefore, to start round 2 from the beginning.

    Jeremy and I have decided to stop postponing our plans to extend our perfect 3-person family and make room for 1 more. We had so many reasons to keep delaying a second child until we realised we could wait forever. There being no time like the present, we set forth to procreate.

    When we conceived Jude, I just knew. We took a pregnancy test 3 days early, on my birthday just for fun, and when the negative result came back I wasn't worried at all. I knew in 3 more days we'd have a positive, and sure enough that's how it happened. I have always been in tune with my body so it came as no surprise.

    Last month I was sure I was pregnant. This time it wasn't just a hunch. My breasts ached and tingled constantly. However, I came down with a very bad cold that had me in bed for almost 5 days. I was so sick we had to send Jude out into the world to find his own amusement (with a lovely friend who was able to look after him all day while Jeremy worked). My body became a rancid cesspool of disease and I felt that my interior was a hostile environment for a zygote to struggle for survival.

    Then my periods came a full week early - an unprecedented occurrence. I feel certain that we had conceived but that pregnancy didn't take form. I had no regrets because I knew my sick body was no place for a baby and I needed to recover.

    And recover I did. This month we tried again. We are trying for a girl this time so we ceased sex a couple of days prior to my most-likely date of ovulation (far from an exact science, especially given how short my cycle was the month before).

    The day after I am certain I was ovulating, I suddenly developed a strong metallic taste in my mouth when eating, particularly dairy. The disgusting taste is undeniably present. I did some research and discovered it is a not-uncommon very early sign of pregnancy. Coupled with the fact that I am peeing more than usual and I'm incredibly sleepy, I am feeling very confident we are pregnant.

    Hopefully I will come back in a couple of weeks with a more solid affirmation of my strong suspicions, but either way it's an interesting process to document.

    No comments: