My latest tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday 26 February 2011

    Musing about life

    I've been thinking about what it means to be a full-time mum. When I was little I thought my dad must be smarter than my mum because he was an important doctor and she was just mum. Years later I learned mum was quite the intellectual and dad just studied really hard.

    Intelligence is something of a defining value in my life and I'm terrified of being undervalued by people who should know me. We moved to the gold coast about 5 years ago and I don't think most of my friends here have any idea that I have a brain, let alone anything to offer. I'm feeling a bit sad about it.

    I made some bad choices in my life, but one of my biggest regrets has long been giving up environmental science which I started studying fresh out of high school. I panicked and thought I hadn't made the right choice and dropped science completely to study communications.

    Following a short career in IT, I realised I didn't care for any of it. I do enjoy writing, but my single novel that I'm too otherwise-occupied to promote isn't getting me anywhere.

    Now this many years later I still burn a candle in the dark recess of my mind for biology, the one subject I always excelled at without effort. Why I didn't stick with it will remain a mystery forever. Am I too old to go back?

    5 comments:

    Tanya said...

    I don't think you are ever too old to learn. I read something recently and I can't remember it exactly word for word but it went something like:

    A man says "I've always wanted to study medicine but it takes 6 years and I am 40 so when I finish I will be 46".

    And his friend replies "But if you don't study medicine in 6 years time you will be 46".

    I'm currently questioning what I want to do with my life. My problem is I don't know what I would like to do.

    Eliza said...

    I like that, it's quite true.

    Learning, however, isn't what O feel too old for. I do wonder if I am too old to start over a new career, but having closed all doors in the past behind me I don't have a choice. I will need to work again.

    My husband does not earn nearly enough money. I'm a bit jealous of women who have those amazing workplaces who seem to offer unlimited maternity leave with a much-loved job to return to after years of absence. That must feel great to have that job thing in the bag.

    Tanya said...

    Well you're never too old to begin a new career either. You can spend the time doing it or not doing it. I've had a few different career paths already and I still don't know what I want to do. I'm jealous of people who know what they want and enjoy doing it. I'd love to have a job I love. My current job is the best job I've had but not something I love.

    Spirited! said...

    You're never to old to go for joy!

    Bec said...

    Never too old! I finished my uni studies while pg with Jake and since then finally started my career with a contract in July last year. Obviously I'm not working now but I still feel I have my career to start, once little miss arrives and grows up a little. Point is you can go back to study while being at home with the kids then start your career while kiddies head off to school. People have time for mature graduates still, we have life experience ;)