My latest tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday 8 May 2011

    Waterbirth dreaming

    We have been buried in renovations for the last month and I've been head down, bum up cleaning up after builders and, of course, Jude.

    That position, the traditional hardworking housewife perpetually cleaning her mud floors and whatever else they did back in the dark ages, is supposed to be ideal for getting a baby into optimal birthing position.

    Yet despite everything, Lilac is seemingly stuck in breech position. After worrying about pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes, this and that, and getting through each month marking checks against each hurdle jumped, I find myself in the last 8 weeks of pregnancy facing the worst of all obstacles and my hopes and dreams of having a waterbirth are fading.

    I even chose to attend a different hospital that is twice the distance from our house, and give up an obstetrician I really liked, all in the hope of having a waterbirth, so I'm filled with disappointment that this is happening.

    All I want is the chance to feel a real contraction and NOT have a needle shoved in my spinal cord. Is that really too much to ask?

    I'm clinging to the hope that, from what I've researched, 25% of babies are breech at 32 weeks and it drops to 4% at term, but Lilac hasn't changed position in weeks so my hope is slipping away.

    No comments: